Friday, August 3, 2012

HAPPY DAY!

Travis bought me a little baby grand today. I can't stop smiling and telling everyone that I have the best husband EVER!

I initially titled this post "My Happiest Day" partly because that sounds like the title of a Scrubs episode and we are currently in season 5 of our rerun schedule. However, I didn't want people to judge my happiest day to be something other than the traditional - Wedding, child's birth, or the day you convinced your mother to buy you a pair of jeans instead of corduroys.

Anyway, I just can't tell you how happy I am. H-A-P-P-Y HAPPY! I just finished this awesome arrangement of I Believe in Christ and I've been going over to the church house for the past few weeks just so I can play it on a baby grand. Now I don't have to! Or won't have to in a couple months when it gets delivered. I'm so happy.

My FIRST piano has been my little Clavinova which Travis also bought for me a couple years after we were married. That is a pretty sweet memory also.

~Cue nostalgic music~

I was pregnant and student teaching in Indy and had been practicing my violin a lot to get my fill of music. I remember crying a lot - but hey I was pregnant. I cried because I enjoyed playing the violin in an orchestra not by myself but mostly I cried because I had no piano to practice and I missed it a lot. Anyway, the weekend before my birthday in February Travis surprised me with having all my birthday presents wrapped up and ready to be opened when I got back from school.

One package was HUGE. I modestly unwrapped the first gift (a smaller package) and it was a pair of camouflage cargo shorts for Travis. I laughed.
Second gift: A Hurley t-shirt. Also for Travis. Although at first I thought this was a maternity shirt for me (I had adopted wearing Travis' clothes). I smiled.
Third gift: A baby blue baseball hat. Also for Travis. I was a little mad.

After opening some other gifts for Travis I was pretty frustrated. I payed the bills then and all I could think about was how selfish Travis was for buying all these pricey clothes for himself while he was going to Dental School. Then I got to the big package which turned out to be the box our baby stroller came in. When I opened the box, inside was the bench to my electric piano. I cried. It was the best present and has been the one gift I've gotten the most use out of hands down. We've talked in the past about upgrading the Clavinova to a newer model but it holds a lot of sentimental value for me so we've never done it.

I'm going to wait to post this until Travis gets back and he can add his comments. I'm not sure anyone reads our blog anymore but maybe one day our kids will laugh at it. Here's how I predict it will start:

Travis: "That does sound like a Scrubs episode. And you're typing sounds a little like JD. Did you notice how you complimented yourself?"

Vickie: "That's right. You know I like compliments. It is awesome. I'm awesome, didn't you know?"

Travis: *smile with precautionary look* that really means, reign in your crazy.

There's Ammon. Gotta go before I have to wash that crib sheet for the 300th time this week!



3 comments:

  1. Still reading and now completely jealous!!!

    Congrats on the new family member!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vickie! So Lizza was looking for a picture for a school project and typed in happy. A picture of your family with your blog link came up first in her images! She called me down and was like you are not going to believe who I just found on google! It was a fun surprise. I hope you are doing well.
    Julie

    February 7, 2013

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie! I just saw your comment (from last year) after deciding I need to be better about keeping a family journal online. Give your girls and Max squeezes from me, seems like forever ago when I was teaching them primary songs!

      Delete